Sports at St Nicholas
Sports at St Nicholas
We have a strong physical education (PE) curriculum provision at St Nicholas and we're very proud of our sporting achievements in recent years. Children have two 1-hour PE lessons a week as a core part of the curriculum. All children from Reception to Year 6 swim at Harpenden Leisure Centre for one academic term during the year and we run cycling proficiency for our Year 5 children.
We hold an annual summer Sports Day which consists of a House competition, where all children attain points towards their final House score as well as individual competitive races. It's always a fun event, well attended by parents and Governors. We run other sporting events throughout the year e.g. skipping workshops, Sport Relief Mile. In addition to regular curriculum activities we also provide a choice of extra-curricular clubs before and after school including football, netball and chess.
We attend the Harpenden District Sports events and tournaments throughout the year which include cross-country, tag rugby, football, netball, chess, rounders, Kwik cricket as well as the District Athletics event.
Follow us on Twitter for our sporting updates.
Sports Premium Funding
To find out about how we make use of our sports premium please visit our financial information page.
Impact of Sports Premium so far
- Our pupils always participate in District Sports events alongside our local schools. Specialist training is clearly having an impact on the level of pupils' commitment to and enjoyment of sport.
- The standards in PE are continually improving as evidenced by the use of a tracking system used by our professional PE specialists.
- Teaching staff are benefitting from observing specialist coaching which is providing continuing professional development.
- Pupils regularly contribute match reports from sporting fixtures and often demonstrate high levels of pride, passion, team spirit and enthusiasm in their writing. We also celebrate the sporting achievements of our pupils outside of school activities in our weekly newsletter.
Swimming and Water Safety
- 100% of Year 6 pupil can swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25m
- 100% of Year 6 pupils could use a range of strokes effectively (for example front crawl, backstroke and breaststroke
- 100% of Year 6 pupils could perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations