Primary School PE Funding
We receive national PE and Sport Premium funding which is designed to help all primary schools improve the quality of the PE and sport activities they offer their pupils. The Government is investing £150 million on this funding each year until 2020, with the vision that ‘all pupils leave primary school physically literate and with the knowledge, skills and motivation necessary to equip them for a healthy lifestyle and lifelong participation in physical activity and sport’. This money is ring-fenced, to be spent only on provision of PE and sport in schools.
Since the Sports Premium funding began, we have provided the children with a range of different sporting opportunities, enhanced the PE curriculum and trained our school staff to deliver high quality sports lessons.
The continuation of the Sports Premium funding will enable us to sustain the impact of high quality sports provision in the following areas, as defined by the Department for Education:
- The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – kick-starting healthy active lifestyles
- The profile of PE and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- Increased participation in competitive sport
How much do we receive?
The Sport Premium budget for the 2020-21 financial year was £17,315 and we have a PE and Sport Premium strategy in place to ensure this money is well spent and achieves the best impact on our children’s physical education. The strategy is planned around the five objectives set out by the Department for Education, noted above.
Impact of Sports Premium so far
- Our pupils always participate in District Sports events alongside our local schools. Specialist training is clearly having an impact on the level of pupils' commitment to and enjoyment of sport.
- The standards in PE are continually improving as evidenced by the use of a tracking system used by our professional PE specialists.
- Teaching staff are benefitting from observing specialist coaching which is providing continuing professional development.
- Pupils regularly contribute match reports from sporting fixtures and often demonstrate high levels of pride, passion, team spirit and enthusiasm in their writing. We also celebrate the sporting achievements of our pupils outside of school activities in our weekly newsletter.
Swimming and Water Safety
- 100% of Year 6 pupil can swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25m
- 100% of Year 6 pupils could use a range of strokes effectively (for example front crawl, backstroke and breaststroke
- 100% of Year 6 pupils could perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations